When a POC publicly names an act of racist oppression and abuse and calls it out for what it is, that is not causing a “ruckus.”
When a POC publicly names the perpretrators of said racist oppression and abuse, that is not “smearing.”
It is blatantly and bravely standing up and calling out the acts of racism for what they are.
Attempting to censor a POC who has been victimized by acts of racism from naming the racism and naming the racist perpretrator, is a kin to censoring the child who has been victimized by child abuse, or the partner who has been victimized by domestic violence from naming the acts of abuse and oppression and naming the perpretrator.
“How can you say that?! What about his/her reputation?!”
You stood in silence, frozen, scared watching acts of racist oppression unfold right before your eyes.
But now as that POC reclaims his or her power, and names the acts of racism for what they are, you are assertive and livid and outspoken to protect the name and reputation and dignity of the perpretrator.
You are not an ally, you are an interferer.
You dragged your feet in nonresponse, inaction, and avoidance.
But now, as the victim fights back and stands up to defend his or her rights, you mobilize to defend the perpretrator.
You are not an ally, you are an upholder of the status quo.
Racism is not an obtuse concept that can be intellectualized, theorized, analyzed, and pondered away in study groups and workshops and intensives. It is a reality that some people are bombarded with everyday. If racism and its traumatizing effects are opaque and abstract to you, you are not an ally.
- dyamondis reblogged this from geniuschild
- thatsjodi reblogged this from geniuschild
- militantbyexistence reblogged this from youreacactus
- youreacactus reblogged this from buggerallthisforalark
- buggerallthisforalark reblogged this from digestivepyrotechnics
- whatbindsyou reblogged this from xtremecaffeine
- xtremecaffeine reblogged this from digestivepyrotechnics
- digestivepyrotechnics reblogged this from ethiopienne
- native-detroiter likes this
- amillionparachutes reblogged this from provocatoria
- sugahwaatah reblogged this from ethiopienne
- neverwillstop likes this
- ethiopienne reblogged this from karnythia
- bohemianarthouse likes this
- knittingandsljivovica reblogged this from warcrimenancydrew
- keepfabandgayon reblogged this from the-cimmerians
- vernors likes this
- wholelottadicks reblogged this from puggbutt
- flavia-anna-louise-fontaine reblogged this from abagond
- abagond reblogged this from heirofmedusa
- rainbowchardkittenpants likes this
- forrestbondurant likes this
- bakethatlinguist likes this
- voicessayhello likes this
- intergalacticafro reblogged this from the-cimmerians
- nowherezone11 reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- ayiman likes this
- provocatoria reblogged this from workingforvacation
- thetart likes this
- workingforvacation reblogged this from navigatethestream
- nefermaathotep reblogged this from hamburgerjack
- nefermaathotep likes this
- hamburgerjack reblogged this from karnythia
- hamburgerjack likes this
- killblaineisgone likes this
- spaceyunicorns reblogged this from the-cimmerians
- nema-tode likes this
- karnythia reblogged this from the-cimmerians
- blurtitoutalready reblogged this from the-cimmerians
- skyfyre likes this
- the-cimmerians reblogged this from queerlyfemmetastic and added:
- the-cimmerians likes this
- navigatethestream reblogged this from darkjez
- twitterpatedlyyours likes this
- she-hulk-smash likes this
- newdawntwisted reblogged this from exasperatingideas
- jovem-gorda-esquisita-queer reblogged this from sluteverbabe
- mickyalexandria likes this